The famous women’s icon of the 1940s was Rosie the Riveter. She appeared in several ads and magazine covers showing off her working woman’s attire. The most famous is Norman Rockwell’s painting, which was turned into the We Can Do It poster. Rosie the Riveter’s look is easy to replicate for either a quick Halloween costume or an authentic 1940s factory worker, Land Girl, or general 40s working woman’s outfit. Combine pants or overalls, a button down blouse, and hair bandana, she looks unlike most women’s 1940s fashion models. Instead, she is practical, rugged, and able to get the job done without complaint! It’s no surprise Rosie the Riveter’s image has become an example for women’s rights around the world. Go here to learn more about the real Rosies of the 1940s.
Rosie the Riveter wasn’t just one look. You have a few different options, such as:
- Pants: Denim or sturdy cotton blue Overalls, Coveralls, a jumpsuit, or wide leg pants (jeans are OK) with a leather belt.
- Rosie the Riveter Shirt: A men’s style button down shirt in Navy blue, plaid or stripes, or a knit pullover sweater, or a ringer T-shirt. Some of the 1940s tops here do well.
- Hair: A silk or cotton Rosie the Riveter bandana, headband or hair scarf in polka dots or another print. A knit snood is also vintage.
- Shoes: Sturdy lace up “work” boots, lace up oxford shoes, or slip on loafers. We’ve got some 1940s work shoe options here.
- Socks: Red high-knee socks.
Scroll to the bottom of the page or click here to see Rosie the Riveter costume ideas.
Shop Rosie the Riveter Costumes:
Rosie the Riveter Costume Examples: