19th century fashions of the Victorian era are highly romanticized in books and movies. Whether you need a Victorian costume such as a women’s civil war dress or men’s morning suit, Old Wild West reenactment clothes, Steampunk costume, Little House on the Prairie dress or Victorian style clothing for your modern wardrobe we found some great affordable choices online. All styles representing Victorian 1800s fashion- 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s to 1900 are included. Our blog is filled with detailed Victorian fashion history articles for your learning pleasure.
For women, a full-skirted dress or separate skirt and blouse combination is where to begin your Victorian costume. Add accessories such as a bonnet hat, shawl or capelet, lace up boots, long gloves and heavy jewelry. Read this guide to dressing ladies in the Victorian era.
For men, high waisted trousers paired with a dress shirt, vest, cravat tie, top hat and boots are your essentials. Adding a morning coat, gloves, spats and pocket watch will turn you into a fine gentleman. For wild west and outlaw men, the essentials are the same but in more durable and colorful materials. Learn how to dress like a Victorian gentleman.
1800s Victorian Ladies Clothing
Begin creating your Victorian costume by choosing a category below
1800s Victorian Men’s Clothing
Victorian Women’s Fashion Guides
- Victorian 1840s-1850s – Dickens Era Costuming Guide
- Victorian Civil War Era costume- Tips on creating the Civil War era look
- Victorian Bustle era– Tips on creating the Bustle era styles
- Simple Victorian Daytime Costume DIY– Using just a skirt, blouse and belt
- Victorian Ballgown Costume DIY– How to quickly make a Victorian ballgown or evening outfit
- Victorian Carriage Parasol – DIY guide to making a Victorian small parasol.
- Victorian Boots – History of and where to buy authentic style Victorian boots
- Victorian Boots and Shoes for kids – What children should wear
- Victorian Hats for Ladies– Popular styles through the decades
- Victorian Hat Decoration – Ideas to decorate late Victorian tea hats
- Victorian Tea Dresses – Late Victorian era white tea gowns
- Victorian Purses, Handbags and shopping baskets
- Victorian Gloves- The most important ladies accessory
- Victorian Hand Fan– Another popular accessory
- Victorian Sewing Patterns – All women’s sewing patterns
- Victorian Makeup Guide and Beauty History – How Victorian ladies wore makeup
- More fashion history is located on most clothing shopping pages such as coats and jackets, shawls, and lingerie
Victorian Mens Fashion Guides
- Victorian Men’s Fashion– An overview of the Victorian era for men
- Victorian Men’s Fashion guide- All about creating the Victorian look with new or repro men’s clothing
- Victorian Mens Shoes- Learn about Victorian style boots and shoes for men.
- Victorian Formal Wear– A guide to the history of Victorian men’s formal wear with recommendations on how to pull off the Victorian look with modern clothing.
- Victorian Costumes– Halloween costumes with Victorian characters such as Rhett Butler, Sweeny Todd, Sherlock Holmes, Scrooge
Victorian Children’s Fashion
- Victorian era clothing– boys and girls clothing pictures of the 1850s, 1860s 1870s, 1880s, 1890s
- Victorian kids boots and shoes – Where to buy Civil War and Victorian style boots and shoes
Do you need more help? If you didn’t find what you are looking for here Ask me and I’ll do my best to help you.