Women’s 1920s clothing centered around revolutionary freedom in both fashion and morals. Ladies’ 1920s clothing left behind the prim and proper mold of Victorian ideals and launched into more free-spirited and casual clothes. Fashion in the roaring twenties gained comfort while showing off an entirely new and outrageous use of color and decoration. Thanks to a surge in media depicting life in the 1920s such as Peaky Blinders, Downton Abbey, Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, Cable girls, and The Great Gatsby, the prohibition era has become the “new” vintage revival era.
Learn 1920s fashion history here (over 50 articles for women and men!)
You too can dress in 1920s style with vintage reproduction and vintage inspired 20s clothing available online. We searched for the best clothes and organized them by type to help make your online shopping experience easier. Look here for 1920s menswear.
More 1920s Women’s Clothing
- Dresses – Day Dresses, Plus Size Dresses
- Evening Dresses, Flapper Dresses, Wedding Dresses
- Blouses, Shirts, Sweaters
- Pants and Knickers
- Coats and Jackets
- Shawls, Fur Wraps
- Headbands and Hair Accessories
- Sunglasses, Eyeglasses
- Makeup Tutorial
- Sewing Patterns
- Costumes – Halloween and Party
1920s Fashion History for Women
- When to wear what – A good place to start learning about 1920s fashion.
- Dresses! History of house dresses, day dresses, afternoon/party dresses, and formal evening/flapper dresses.
- A special look at plus size 1920s fashions is a must for “non flappers.”
- Casual women’s clothing such as skirts, blouses, sweaters, and pants.
- All about winter coats, spring jackets, fur coats and capes for daytime.
- Evening jackets, opera coats, fur stoles, scarves, wraps and more.
- History of 1920s women’s shoes and the 10 most common styles.
- 1920s Stockings – History of stockings, tights and socks.
- 1920s lingerie – Bras, panties, slips and corsets.
- 1920s hats and headbands – Beyond the stereotypical styles.
- Jewelry – The most common styles you need to know about.
- Gloves – A history of gloves from 1900 to 1960.
- 1920s Purses – Read about beautiful 1920s purses, handbags and shopping bags.
- Swimsuits – Learn about swimwear in the 1920s.
- 1920s Makeup tutorial and makeup history.
- Hairstyles of the 1920s.
- Great Gatsby Style for Women – Learn how to dress for a 1920s or Great Gatsby themed event.
- Get inspired by 10+ easy women’s costumes you can make from new or thrift store clothing.
- For the early ’20s and Downton Abbey costumes, look at these outfit ideas.
- 1920s Style Dresses in 2020 – What current dress styles are inspired by the 1920s. Focuses on daywear and non-flapper party dresses.
- Fashion in the Year 1920 – The start of the decade was very different from the final years.
- 1920s Tennis Clothes for women and men.
- 1920s Nurse /Maid Uniforms – Pictures of women’s nurse, maid, servant, waitress uniforms.
- The 1920s One Hour Dress Pattern – Read these tips before you sew a 1920s dress with this pattern.
- Find a BIG list of 1920s sewing patterns here – new, reproduction and vintage patterns included.
1920s Men’s Fashion History
- 1920s Men’s Suits – Learn about the styles of 1920s men’s suits.
- 1920s men’s separates – pants / knickers, shirts and collars, sweaters and coats.
- Men’s Costume Ideas- How to create seven 1920s men’s fashion looks.
- The history of 1920s men’s neckties is an interesting read.
- Men’s hats styles and men’s hat history is also fascinating.
- 1920s men’s shoes history – snazzy choices for dapper men.
- Accessories – gloves, glasses, canes, watches, and cuff links.
- Men’s Formal Wear – Learn about black tie dress in the 1920s.
- Great Gatsby Style for Men– Learn how to dress like the men in the Great Gatsby movie.
- Dress like Robert Redford in the 1974 Great Gatsby movie.
- Boardwalk Empire Men’s Clothing – Learn about creating your own Boardwalk Empire (TV show) style clothing ensemble.
- 1920s Gangster Style – Learn to dress like a Al Capone or another 1920s gangster.
- 1920s Sports Wear for Men – Easy to put together men’s 1920s sporting clothes.
- Men’s workwear clothing – History of men’s labor and work clothing.
- 1920s Men’s hairstyles guide.
- Men’s underwear and pajamas – just in case you are curious.
- Men’s 1920s Swimsuits history and tutorial.
- 1920s men’s sewing patterns – Vintage men’s sewing patterns.
- Men’s Vintage Clothing Source – Where to shop vintage, reproduction and inspired men’s clothing.
Have a question about 1920s fashion? Need help finding ’20s style clothing? Contact me for help.