Complete your Victorian costumes with period-inspired Victorian accessories: gloves, belts, hand fans, hair accessories, and more.
- Start with a perfectly styled Victorian wig and decorate with hair jewelry like a knit snood, clip, or hair comb.
- A lace Victorian hand fan will not only keep you cool but add beauty to your outfit. A lace Victorian parasol will keep you shaded as well.
- Add long or short leather Victorian gloves for day and evening dresses. Read the history of gloves here.
- Carry a Victorian purse, handbag or small pouch like a reticule or tie it to your belt. Shop Victorian purses here.
- A wide Victorian Medici belt might be needed for skirt and blouse outfits.
- Keep shoes clean and stylish with Victorian shoe spats.
See below for pictures of Victorian hand fans, gloves and belts, as well as a brief history of each (click here to jump).
Victorian Costume Accessories
Belts on women were a rare thing save for during two decades. Around the Civil War, the Medici belt was a wide belt that separated blouses and skirts. It went out of fashion until the 1890s to 1900s when the masculine, practical look was back in style. Belts were corset-like, with lace up fronts or large buckles in the center.