Where do you shop for vintage style children’s clothes? With three kids under 8 (one girl, two boys) and a lot of vintage themed events and family pictures to dress up, I have become pretty good at finding outfits for the kids. Here are some tips on choosing an outfit and where I like to shop:
- Pick your decade:
– 1910-1920s girls wore drop waist or slip dresses with a large bow belt. Boys wore overalls, knickers (short pants), button down shirt and cap hats. A little bow tie is cute too.
– For 1930s-1940s girls, dresses were simple A-line dresses in small floral prints. Boys wore pants and button-down shirts or a suit for special events.
– 1950s girls wore dresses just like mom, with big circle skirts. Older girls found the fad for poodle skirts and cardigan sweaters a trend worth following. Boys wore dark blue jeans and plaid shirts. Toddler boys and girls were fond of overalls and rompers in fun colors. Western clothes were very popular for little cowboys and cowgirls.
– The 1960s saw dresses return to the shift style for girls, but little changed for boys’ clothes.
Shop by decade here: Victorian to 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s-1970s.
- Babies: Babies wore long white christening gowns up until they could walk and usually stuck to plain white baby doll dresses or rompers as toddlers. Even boys wore dresses.
- Kids clothes or little adults? Children can wear vintage kids clothes just like they did back then, or you can dress them like a little adult in all the styles grownups wore. There are some cute options for mommy and me sets as well.
- Sailor Clothes: The one style of clothing for all the decades were nautical or sailor themed clothes. Navy and white dresses, pants, overalls, rompers and hats. You can’t go wrong with a sailor outfit for any decade.
Where to shop for vintage children’s clothes:
Genuine Vintage: Browse through Etsy.com or eBay.com for the decade + gender. You can also find handmade vintage inspired clothes on Etsy. There are also Facebook groups dedicated to buy/sell vintage children’s clothes.
Vintage Inspired Children’s:
Black Butterfly – Really cute and affordable 1950s style dresses, skirts and cardigan sweaters. Matching dresses for mom too. 3T to age 13/14.
Gorlya – Cheaper brand of girls basics. Some vintage dresses and tops are in the vintage style.
Kate Kasin– A sleeveless 50s/60s dress in a variety of florals, polka dot and basic colors. 6 years to 16 years.
Bonnie Jean– Party dresses, sailor themes, smocked dresses, and Christmas dresses with sweaters or coats. 2T to age 16 depending on style.
Nautica Boy’s Suits– Suits, pants, vests, suspender, bow ties sets
Hope and Henry– Classic dresses, sweaters, pants, overalls, tops and accessories. Infant to age 10.
IC Collections – Girls petticoats, slips, bloomers, made in the USA
Hope & Henry: Organic cotton clothes at reasonable prices. Current designs favor late 50s and 60s girls dresses, boys sweater vests and suits, knit baby sets and mommy and daddy matching sets.
Zuilly: Stock is always changing, but keep an eye on the new arrivals. Sometimes I find the most adorable vintage style kids clothes here.
Hannah Anderson: Several cute pinafore vintage style dresses.
Vindiebaby: Charming vintage style girls clothing for ages 2-8
Little Miss Marmalade – Boutique clothing store for girls, many 50s inspired dresses in fun prints. 12m to age 14 years
Contact us if you need help finding the right clothes for your kids.