Looking for Mad Men clothes for women? There are a lot of 50s and 60s choices for you. When popular TV shows like Mad Men and Pan Am began showcasing an earlier era of American life, many people were instantly inspired by the clothing and style of the time. Everyone looked so sophisticated and well-dressed everyday! Women took pride in their appearance, and you definitely didn’t have a casual Friday at work.
If you are looking to recapture some of the magic of the styles of the time, here are a few essentials of Mad Men style clothing for women:
- Hats – Hats were essential everyday wear in the 1960s. Women and men alike wore them everywhere. Hats weren’t worn indoors, but out of doors and outside of the office place, a well-dressed woman always had a hat on. The shapes and style varied, as did the angle at which they were to be worn. This was the last hurrah for hats in popular use for women in America. Today, if a hat is worn, it’s generally for warmth instead of style. Shop 1960s hats.
- Jewelry – When it comes to Mad Men clothes, accessories for women were a must. Women wore pearls in the style of Jackie Kennedy and other pieces of jewelry to show off their style and sophistication. This was also a time when women wore brooches on a regular basis. Shop 60s jewelry.
- Purse – Purses were a part of every woman’s wardrobe. She had a person for the daytime and for the evening. The style leaned towards smaller purses that matched the outfit. Purses were changed out regularly. Shop retro handbags.
- Shoes – Shoes matched the outfit perfectly. They were generally smaller in the heel and had pointed toes without straps. Mad Men style shoes were worn everywhere from the office to the home; heels and pumps were the staple.
- Tops – The purpose of the top, blouse or sweater was to set off the pants or pencil skirt that it was worn with. Soft fitted sweaters were very popular, as were differing collars and ties. Shop 60s blouses and sweaters.
- Pants and Skirts – Pencil skirts and flat front cigarette pants were the thing to wear in the ’60s. These slimming cropped pants were perfect for wearing with heels or pumps. Shop skirts and pants/capris.
- Dress – Mad Men style dresses came in many different styles. There was the popular sheath dress as well as the full circle dresses that were left over from the 50s. The sheath dress was the pencil skirt in dress form and definitely the bigger style of the day. Shop 50s dresses and 60s dresses.
At the Vintage Dancer, we work hard to bring you all of the latest Mad Men vintage fashions from around the web. If you want to learn more about any of the vintage dress eras, you’ve come to the right place.
1960s Fashion for women- an overview of the era
The 1960 fashion year – all about fashion from the year 1960
1960s outfit ideas- Looks inspired by the 60s
As always, reach out to us if you need help with your women’s Mad Men inspired outfit.