My popular 50 Vintage Halloween Costume Ideas gives plenty of unique looks for women, but what about men? Here is a roundup of over 50 Vintage Halloween Costume ideas for Men and where to buy cheap costumes, or better yet, quality new clothing with a vintage look. Use these ideas to create your own unique costume inspired by the Victorian era up to the 1970s. Have a new idea not listed here? Let me know in the comments so we can keep this list of ideas growing.
Victorian Men’s Halloween Costumes
- Wild West Gunfighter / Outlaw / Sheriff – Men out west dressed in colorful vests, solid or striped shirts, high waisted pants, suspenders, boots, and wore a scarf as a tie. A gambler hat was the favorite style for outlaws.
- Gentleman – Victorian gentlemen wore plain color tailcoats, white dress shirts, vests, button boots, a cravat tie, and a top hat.
- Abe Lincoln – Abe’s look uses the elements above but with a taller stovepipe top hat and a black frock coat.
- Charles Dickens / Gangs of New York – Colorful plaid suits and pants alongside mismatched vests and accessories was the look during the time of Dickens.
- Scrooge / Marley Brothers – Scrooge dressed in all black to match his soul, while the Marley brothers would be in ghostly grey. Many Groom ghosts would double as Marley brothers costume. Consider a Caroler, spirit, and Tiny Tim as well.
- Sherlock Holmes – Tan trench coat, magnifying glass, pipe and deerstalker hat complete this Victorian detective look.
- Headless Horseman – Go all black with a large cape.
- Saloon Bartender – White shirt, armbands, colorful vest, bow tie, white apron, and optional gun holster will set you up for breaking up fights at the old saloon. A Banker is a similar costume without the apron or guns.
- Mad Hatter – Another colorful costume with a mix of patterns in the Victorian style. See this one or this one.
- Willy Wonka– Another colorful Victorian inspired outfit. Mix brown pants, purple coat, purple stripe vest or shirt, and a top hat.
- Ringmaster / Moulin Rouge – The bohemian movement mixed classic Victorian with casual knitwear and splashes of red at the Moulin Rouge.
- Rhett Butler (Gone with the Wind) – During the Civil War, Rhett Butler is dapper in his morning suit and iconic gambler hat.
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – Made in the 1930s this movie was set in the Victorian age. Add a sinister mad scientist coat for this character.
- Safari Hunter / Explorer – Safari hunting trips were a sport for the Victorian wealthy. Pair a bush shirt or jacket with knickers, tall boots, and a pith helmet.
- Steampunk – Futuristic Victorian of the steam power age leave room for a lot of creativity. Look here for ideas. Shop Men’s Steampunk clothing here.
- Warlock – A male witch. It is something I hardly ever seen worn but it would be a great costume, especially as a couples’ costume. Add a cape and a witch hat over your Victorian clothing.
- Mad Scientist – A long white lab coat, black gauntlet gloves, lab goggles, and an evil grim make a Mad Scientist costume.
- Col. Sanders (KFC) – Legendary white suit wearing southern gentlemen and friend chicken empire king Col. Sanders is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- Vampire – Vampires date back to the 17th century, but many Vampire costumes resemble Victorian clothing with a waistcoat, tall collar shirt, black pants, and long cape.
- Phantom of the Opera– Another long cape wearing Victorian man.
- Jack Skellington / Corpse Bride – Both costumes take Inspiration from the Victorian era. Pinstripe pants and cutaway coat are used in both looks.
- Civil War soldiers– Confederate or Union the Civil war soldier is a classic Victorian costume.
Shop Victorian Menswear: Halloween Costumes, men’s suits and overcoats, pants, shirts, vests, ties/cravats, hats, boots, and accessories.
Late Victorian / Edwardian era
- Sherlock (Late Victorian to Edwardian era) – Classic morning suit with top hat for Sherlock and less formal sack suit and bowler hat for Watson.
- Titanic Passenger – All classes of men were passengers on the Titanic. Go formal for first class or more casual for the working class with a simple brown suit, vest, shirt, and cap. Carry a life vest or buoy with RMS Titanic on it.
- Downton Abbey Gentleman – 1912 to 1925 saw men in formal dinner suits, tweed sportswear, and white summer suits – all looks you can recreate easily.
- Bert, as Chimney Sweep (Mary Poppins) – A popular and easy Halloween costume. Just dirty up a pair of pants, shirt, scarf and flat cap.
- Bert, as waiter / Barber Shop singer / Music Man – A summer at the park brings out performers and fashionable men in striped sport coats over white pants.
- Mark Twain / Summer Suit – The all white suit with straw boater hat is a classic look for Edwardian era men in summer, as well as a favorite for author Mark Twain.
- Adventurer – Traveling on an adventure was a new thing for this era. The Safari look was first for hunters, then became mainstream by the 1930s. Theodore Roosevelt was an avid sportsman wearing this look. Khaki pants, four pocket safari shirt, belt and pith helmet makes this a unique costume. Later adventurer Indiana Jones wore a leather jacket, fedora hat, and carried a bullwhip.
- WWI Military Uniform / Pilot – World War I was the setting for the recent Wonder Woman movie. Dress like Steve in one of his many military looks.
- Steve Trenor, Wonder Woman Civilian – Chris Pine is a heartthrob in his London city clothes: Blue-grey fedora hat, club collar shirt, blue pinstripe suit, gray trench coat, and tie. His look is more 1920s than 1914.
Men’s Edwardian era clothing: Halloween costumes, suits and coats, formal wear, pants, shirts, vests, hats, shoes/boots, ties, and accessories.
1920s Men’s Halloween Costumes
- The Great Gatsby – Everyone’s favorite 1920s character. White, pink or tan suits were all worn in the Great Gatsby movies. Learn how to dress here or here, or with formal wear.
- Bootlegger / Gangster / Al Capone/ Peaky Blinders – 1920s illegal bootleggers dressed in the best men’s 1920s fashions. Chalk stripe dark suits, black homburg or fedora hats, two tone shoes, and spats. Find gangster costumes here.
- Charlie Chaplin – This iconic look is a carryover style from the 1910s. Grey pinstripe pants and a black tailcoat, cravat tie, bowler or derby hat, and cane make up his iconic morning suit.
- Golfer – Plus four knickers with tall argyle socks, a sweater vest, and an 8 panel cap scream vintage golfer. It is a popular look for the 1910s to 1930s.
- Speakeasy Patron/ Bartender – That classic vintage man look returns with a mix of casual clothing styles (no suits). Add accessories for your character, such as a flask.
- Mechanic / Railroader – For the blue collar man who doesn’t like costumes, try a 1920s mechanic/working class look with a pair of coveralls or overalls. Similar concepts: Farmer, railroad worker, delivery driver, factory worker, etc.
- Jester / Clown – Court jesters/ Pierrot clowns and other 17th century characters were popular 1920s Halloween costumes back in the day. Black and white or red and black are the best combinations.
- Newt Scamander (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) – A blue overcoat, tan vest, and stripe knit scarf are the icons of those 1920s men’s look.
- Banker / Bartender / Musician– They all wore arm garters for these 1920s era professions.
- Nautical / Captain/ Cruise – What men wore on a cruise across the ocean or in summer whites
More 1920s men’s costume ideas – From casual to formal. Looks you can make from thrift store clothing or new vintage-inspired styles.
1920s men’s clothing: Halloween costumes, suits, pants & knickers, shirts, vests, hats, suspenders, neckties and bowties, shoes & accessories.
1930s Men’s Halloween Costumes
- Howard Hughes – The primary inspiration for Adventure seeker Indiana Jones. Wear tan pants, a white bush shirt, leather bomber jacket, and a wide brim fedora hat. Add a whip and faux gun accessories.
- Clyde (Bonnie and Clyde) / Gangster / Mobster – This notorious gangster with a gruesome death dressed like most 1930s men. Wide leg pants and padded shoulder sportcoat, classic tie, and felt hat.
- Silent Film Star – Old Hollywood stars wore tuxedos, but favored the white dinner jacket over black pants for the 1930s and 1940s.
- Depression Era Farmer – An easy costume using overalls, a work shirt, boots and a flat cap. See more workwear clothing.
- Popeye or Brutus– Made in the 1930s, Popeye the sailor man is all muscle thanks to cans of spinach. Don’t forget Brutus!
- Hollywood Director – Similar to a safari or vintage pilot costume the Hollywood director costume is a unique vintage Halloween costume. Combine knickers with a bush jacket, beret, and tall boots. Add a directors microphone.
- Hollywood Actor – Oozing vintage sex appeal is the Old Hollywood actor smoking a pipe in his silk smoking jacket.
- Dick Tracy / Spy – Comic book character with the iconic yellow jacket. Solving crimes in style!
- Dracula – The 30s was the age of classic Halloween horror movies such as the Mummy, Frankenstein, Wolfman, The Phantom, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Dracula is one of my favorite costumes
- Film Noir costumes- Play the good guy, the bad guy, the detective or the innocent one from classic black and white movies.
Shop 1930s men’s clothing: Halloween costumes, suits and sportcoats, pants, shirts, hats, neckties and shoes.
1940s Men’s Halloween Costumes
- Zoot Suit Rebel – Be outlandish in an over the top Zoot Suit perfect for ’40s gangsters too. Learn more and shop here.
- Detective / Private Eye – Take your everyday 1940s suit, fedora hat, and trench coat and become a 1940s detective solving Halloween crimes. Private eye Eddie Valiant in Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a prime example. Humphrey Bogart is another. Read this article for this and other Film Noir ideas.
- WWII Sailor – Re-create the famous end of war kiss in a blue or white sailor costume.
- WWII Uniform / Pilot – Choose a 1940s WWII uniform as your Halloween costume to compliment your Pinup partner. A vintage pilot costume is the most requested of all the uniforms.
- Gangster – A double breasted pinstripe suit with black fedora hat and black and white two tone shoes is a menacing ’40s gangster costume. Think The Godfather.
- Big Band Musician / Singer / Swing Dancer – A classic ’40s vintage style with wide leg pants, a bold tie, suspenders and hat creates the base for all sorts of ’40s costumes.
- Vintage Baseball Uniform – Coach the Rockford Peaches or be baseball legend Babe Ruth in a 1930s -1940s striped vintage baseball uniform.
- Comic Superhero – Most comic superheroes were formed in the 1940s — Green Hornet, Superman, Dick Grayson, Captain America, Aquaman, Green Arrow, and many more. Join the superhero trend this year and be at home in the 1940s.
Shop 1940s menswear: Halloween costumes, men’s suits/zoot suits, pants, shirts, shoes, hats, and neckties.
1950s Men’s Halloween Costumes
- Hollywood Stars in Smoking Jackets (Dean Martin, Cary Grant, and Fred Astaire) or Hugh Heffner – A silk or velvet smoking jacket with a vintage pipe is a simple costume.
- Nerd / Scientist – Revenge of the 1950s nerds with horn rim glasses and a white shirt, skinny tie, and pocket protector.
- Letterman Athlete – Varsity sweaters and jackets are back in fashion, and with a chenille letter they can easily become a vintage letterman costume. Check out male cheerleader costumes too.
- Greaser / Rockabilly – Engineer boots, a leather jacket, dark denim jeans, and a white T -shirt makes a 1950s rebel. Rockabilly it up with a plaid western shirt or loungeshirt. Danny Zuko from Grease is a good character choice.
- Teen Idol (Buddy Holly) – Classic ’50s music was sung by the boys of the Bandstand era, rockin’ a colorful sportcoat, skinny tie and two-tone shoes.
- Elvis – The King has many looks. In the photo below, he is wearing a plaid sportcoat, two tone sport shirt, black pants, and loafers. Consider his famous gold suit.
- Milk Man – All white uniform with white pants, a white uniform shirt (with your name), black bow tie, and white cap with a vintage bottle of milk is a classic!
- Diner Waiter – Who doesn’t love to eat burgers and milkshakes while listening to the jukebox in a 50s diner? Your server wears a candy-striped apron and diner hat.
- Bowling Champ – A bowling shirt with a funny team name is all you need for an easy men’s costume.
- Mad Men (also 1960s) – A classic 1950s / 1960s style suit with felt hat. Print some vintage ads as your prop.
- Tacky Tourist – Hawaiian shirts, a vintage camera, luggage, and a straw hat make this easy and fun costume.
- Ricky Ricardo– Cuban entertainer and comic husband on I Love Lucy, Ricky Ricardo wears a 50s tuxedo most nights.
- Prom King – Powder blue suits and ruffle front shirts ready 1950s prom king.
Shop 1950s Men’s Clothing: Halloween costumes, suits, shirts, jackets, pants / jeans, hats, shoes, and neckties.
1960s Men’s Costumes
- James Bond – A skinny suit and tie with a faux gun is all it takes to make a James Bond costume.
- Teddy Boy – Mix late ’50s and Edwardian clothing by wearing ’60s pants and a black shirt with an Edwardian overcoat and creeper shoes.
- The Beatles – Like James Bond, The Beatles wore very skinny suits and ties with Chelsea boots or loafers. You can’t forget the red jackets either.
- Beatnik – Black turtleneck shirt or striped shirt, black skinny pants, black beret hat, scarf, and Doc Martin shoes make this literary look.
- Mod – The ’60s mod style is what is back in fashion today, although less colorful. Find crazy plaid pants, matching cheeky shirts and sweaters, and pointy toe boots for a very ’60s style.
- Hippie – Tie-dye clothing, long vests, suede fringe, headbands and folky shirts are just some ’60s hippie men’s clothing.
- Addams Family – All black robe, all the time for Uncle Fester. Wear a striped suit for Gomez.
- Austin Powers – This notorious spy in British mod clothing is a Halloween favorite. Or wear his trademark grey mandarin suit.
- Pop Art Icons– Taken from the canvas of 60s pop, art these costumes bring 2D art to life.
- Star Trek – The original costumes are very mod, and very 60s.
- More 60s mens outfit ideas
Shop 1960s style menswear: Halloween Costumes, suits/shirts/pants/sweaters, shoes, hats, and neckties.
1970s Men’s Costumes
Disco Dancer – Flashback to Studio 54 and Saturday Night Fever in a 1970s men’s jumpsuit or bell bottom pants with a satin shirt. Add a 70s sunglasses, a gold chain necklace, cane, and Afro wig for some serious hustle time fashion. Shop many disco costumes. Create your own 70s inspired disco outfit with this article.
Sonny Bono – Singers Sonny and Cher are icons of the 70s hippie / folk scene.
Detective /Undercover Cop – Many 70s movies revive the trend for undercover detectives, high-speed chases, and generally bad fashion.
Scooby Doo (Shaggy and Freddie) – This 70s cartoon has some memorable 70s clothing.
Find all of these men’s 70s costumes here.
What are you wearing for Halloween?